Sunday, October 17, 2010

Great is Thy Faithfulness

Music does something to the soul...for me music is healing. It transports me most times back to a time that was precious in my life. I remember as a little girl loving to sing and perform. I can remember my dad taking me down to the local christian book store and let me pick out a new Kids Praise cassette tape and usually some stickers. I would be SO excited to rip the wrapper off of the cassette and put it into the tape player. I would listen to it over and over again to learn all the words. I am sure I drove my sister bonkers since she had to share a room with the soloist. :) Those times were so special and I will treasure them forever.

Growing up in the church I have heard the song Great is Thy Faithfulness quite a bit. We sing these hymns every week with almost no thought into what we are actually singing. These musical giants wrote some really powerful lyrics,but I have to admit I have been one of the ones in church wondering why we still sing these mundane and boring songs. I was so wrong! I will never be able to sing the words to this great song Great is Thy Faithfulness again without a truly thankful heart and adoration for my Savior. As I read and sang the words to this beautiful hymn on Sunday morning, every line meant so much more to me than it usually does; as if I was singing it for the first time. He has been so faithful in my life. Even in the darkest of hours, he truly does keep His promises. I know my blogs lately have been somewhat repetitive, but the Lord must know that I, like the sheep he refers to in scripture, need the constant reminder that He is faithful and He will not forsake me not matter how deep the valley gets. In the world we live in we can get caught up in the heaviness of it all forget so easily that He does have a purpose for the things we are going through. No matter how dark it gets....He is there in the midst of it all; shining His light and reminding us of His faithfulness. He was even with me when I was a little girl excited to get her praise tape and sing it at the top of my lungs with no care in the world. That just makes my heart smile.

Here are the lyrics to this beautiful hymn Great is Thy Faithfulness. I pray that you are touched by the words just as I was and that you would have a renewed zeal for worship of our King.

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.


Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy Faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

No comments:

Post a Comment